Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Crime

While reading the Courier News today (12/14/10), I was taken aback by the shear number of crimes that had happened over the weekend. Two incidents really caught my attention as they involved a group of men wearing bandannas in order to obscure their cowardly faces.

The first crime involved four suspects, two of which were brandishing guns which they used to force their way into the residence and rob the homeowners of items that they had worked so hard for.

The second was strikingly similar except this time, they simply kicked in the front door.

I ask, what has become of our little town? Where in the process are we failing as a community? Some would say that the problem lies with our elected officials and the police department, while others will hold the parents accountable for not properly policing their children.

I personally believe that both of the above reasons are only the tip of the ice burg. We need more community involvement from our neighbors and friends. I know that when I was a child, I couldn't make a wrong move without my father or mother knowing about my misdeeds prior to me even walking in the door.

I hope that our new mayor elect James Sanders will make the issue of crime a priority in his administration and combat the criminal element and the effect that it's having on our town. Because of crime, our working citizenry is relocating to places like Jonesboro and Dyersburg to raise their families, and in the process, taking their money with them.

As a community, we need to rally together and solve this issue before it becomes totally out of hand. This requires working together hand in hand with our police department, and getting to know your neighbors. Then, and only then, will the tide start to change for the better. Are you on board with me? I hope so! 

No comments:

Post a Comment